1. AFC Wimbledon. Fan-owned response to crappy franchising-type moves in the FA. The spiritual descendant of Wimbledon FC, my former favorite football club. Hopefully they’ll get a place in the playoffs and win a ticket out of the Conference. Come on you Dons!
2. USC Trojans. Have to root for the alma mater. Doesn’t hurt that they’re quite good, usually. Hey, at least we beat UCLA and Notre Dame.
3. Tulsa Golden Hurricane. My first love. Still my number one pick on the basketball court and the collegiate soccer field. Looking for an NCAA basketball bid this year after an elite eight run in soccer. Oh, and an NCAA b-ball win.
4. Seattle Sounders. The best run club in MLS. Simply amazing.
5. Purdue. I guess. I have. To represent. Anything but a Final Four this year, and it’ll be a disappointment. Like the football program.
6. The Dodgers. Go Blue! Sitting in the upper deck on a summer night is one of the best things ever. And I don’t even like baseball that much.
7. Hearts. If only they were better. And not owned by a crazyman. But Tynecastle is my favorite place to see a match. Hopefully the planned expansion only makes it better.
8. Huracán. The BsAs footie team closest to where I lived. Not the biggest or the best in Argentina, but my favorite. You gotta love a team whose logo is a hot air balloon.
9. Cardiff. Kinda gotta go with the Welsh side closest to the Premiership. That, and who doesn’t like bluebirds? I guess if they ever go up, I’ll actually have a Premiership side to cheer on for the first time since 2000.
10. Boise State. I have no connections here. I like the smurf turf. I love that they beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. I’m impressed by the winning. I like that Chris Petersen has shown loyalty to his program. I like people who want to build things. Like Few at Gonzaga. Like I said, I’m a Tulsa basketball fan, so I have coach abandonment issues. (cf. Smith, Robinson, Self, Peterson)
11. Inverness Caledonian Thistle. Until last year, the one highland team in the SPL. Now there are none. I’d love to see them go back up. Five seasons in the top flight, some giant-killing cup performances, and the subject of the best sport headline ever: ‘Super Caley Go Ballistic, Celtic Are Atrocious’
12. The Saints. A semi-bandwagon move here, but they do have Brees and Bush. And I love listening to Hebert on the radio. And, believe it or not, I was actually a Saints fan as a kid, back in the Dome Patrol, Hebert and Dalton Hilliard days. In reality, I just don’t care about the NFL that much.
13. Seattle Mariners. I still think The Kid is awesome. And I’m happy he went back to close it out in Seattle. And I liked Edgar and Buhner. I like Ichiro. And being owned by Nintendo is one of the better conglom ownership deals. Free DS network in the stadium. Pretty sweet.
14. The Clippers. There’s a reason why they’re last.